These are the adventures of Andy and Sally Rawnsley on their narrowboat "The Puzzler". We have been living on the boat for over eight years now and are still loving it. Our Ulster born Shih Tzu, Shannon, has grown up, and has taken over the boat! After three wonderful years in Ireland, we transported The Puzzler to The Netherlands, and spent a year there. In 2015 we went southwards, to reach the north of France by June. After glorious weather throughout the summer, we arrived in Roanne in late October, and enjoyed our winter in this friendly port. We cruised extensively in France in 2016, returning to Roanne for a second winter.
Thursday, 24 September 2015
20th - 22nd September. To Moret-sur-Loing, then up the river Seine to Montereau-Fault-Yonne. On to the river Yonne and sloping sided locks
The road into Moret-sur-Loing leads over the bridge and into the town through the town gate. Over to the left can be seen the 12th century church of Pont-Loup.
Unusually, the organ is mounted high up on the wall, inside the church. It is a beautiful church.
This fascinating old building is known as Bon-Saint-Jacques. Pierre Racolet redesigned the exterior in a neoclassical style in 1924, including his own “signature” of a rat in a pot of glue, the symbol of carpenters.
We are going 13 kilometres upstream on the Seine, before joining the Yonne river at Montereau-fault-Yonne.
A splendid bronze statue of Napoleon oversees the bridge at Montereau. This commemorates the French success at the Battle of Montereau, on February 18th 1814, when Napoleon led his men to defeat the Austrians, shouting that the cannon ball which would kill him had not yet been made!
On the other side of the road, this building has been painted with scenes from this battle.
This whole mural really gives an impression of the action then.
The collegiate church of Notre Dame, complete with flying buttresses, dominates the skyline, on the far side of the river Yonne.
It is just as impressive inside, and was built during the 12th to the 16th century.
Looking back to the “halte fluvial” as we leave the town, the rest of the battle of Montereau is painted on the building behind the mooring.