These are the adventures of Andy and Sally Rawnsley on their narrowboat "The Puzzler". We have been living on the boat for over eight years now and are still loving it. Our Ulster born Shih Tzu, Shannon, has grown up, and has taken over the boat! After three wonderful years in Ireland, we transported The Puzzler to The Netherlands, and spent a year there. In 2015 we went southwards, to reach the north of France by June. After glorious weather throughout the summer, we arrived in Roanne in late October, and enjoyed our winter in this friendly port. We cruised extensively in France in 2016, returning to Roanne for a second winter.
Friday, 8 August 2014
5th - 8th August. On winding Dutch waterways to Bolsward, then on to Harlingen.
We carried on through threatening weather, which eventually did turn into a glorious day, along rural winding waterways.
The first stone of the new Bolsward Town Hall was laid in 1614, with improvements and renovation going on ever since, most recently in 1955, which was the year of the 500 years Town Charter commemoration.
Upstairs in the Council Chambers, this wooden door frame was carved by Japick Gysberts, and the four tin town jugs above, date from 1550.
In 2005 the church was restored again, as the walls were crumbling, and the glass roof was then added, to create this splendid exhibition hall.
The old and the new windmills are side by side here. As in other parts of the world, there is some resistance to the new wind turbines, but it looks as though they are here to stay.
As the waterway opened out again, we moored near to the village of Arum, a few kilometres south of Harlingen.
Shannon is enjoying having a shorter trim for the hot weather, and is being a figurehead, on the top of the cratch!
There is a choice of routes through Harlingen. In this part it is mainly moorings for smaller yachts.
The Zuiderhaven 2 building, with two beautiful stepped gables, overlooks the Industrial Harbour.
We walked down to the beach and Shannon had a wonderful time in the sea.
The Stadhuis (City Hall) was built in 1730. The statue of St Michael, the patron saint of Harlingen, can be seen at the top of the building.