These are the adventures of Andy and Sally Rawnsley on their narrowboat "The Puzzler". We have been living on the boat for over nine years now and are still loving it. Our Ulster born Shih Tzu, Shannon, has grown up, and has taken over the boat! After three wonderful years in Ireland, we transported The Puzzler to The Netherlands, and spent a year there. In 2015 we went southwards, to reach the north of France by June. After glorious weather throughout the summer, we arrived in Roanne in late October, and enjoyed our winter in this friendly port. We cruised extensively in France in 2016 and 2017, returning to Roanne each winter.
Wednesday, 10 August 2011
4th - 10th August. Clonmacnoise to Meelick on The River Shannon
As we sailed on down the River Shannon, later in the day, Clonmacnoise Monastery came into view. It is an impressive sight.
Near to the monastery can be seen the ruins of St John's Church, which was built in 1214 by the English Judiciar, John de Gray. The ruins are of the gatehouse, courtyard and keep, which were destroyed by an explosion, many years ago.
On walking round behind the ruins, it seems amazing that this piece has not fallen down completely.
Once again the sunset, seen behind Clonmacnoise moorings, was stunning.
66M, a former Guiness barge, was behind us on this mooring. She makes The Puzzler look small!
Shannon Princess II passed by. She is a hotel boat, which we saw being repainted in April at Quigley's boatyard, ready for the season. She is an extremely smart boat.
There are several 9th century crosses at Clonmacnoise. The Cross of the Scriptures stands in front of the ruins of the Cathedral.
However, to keep these graceful and well preserved crosses safe and in good order, the originals are now kept under cover, inside the museum.
As we left Clonmacnoise, to continue our way down the Shannon River, the cloud formations were lovely to behold. This part of the river meanders through low lying farmland, with no hills to be seen.
After arriving at Meelick mooring, we had an afternoon mini heat wave, so some of the crew did some sunbathing.
We walked to see Meelick Abbey, which was built in 1414 AD and is the oldest church still in current use in Ireland.
The wires here were full of birds, possibly starlings. They did not seem to be migratory birds, despite the gathering.