These are the adventures of Andy and Sally Rawnsley on their narrowboat "The Puzzler". We have been living on the boat for over nine years now and are still loving it. Our Ulster born Shih Tzu, Shannon, has grown up, and has taken over the boat! After three wonderful years in Ireland, we transported The Puzzler to The Netherlands, and spent a year there. In 2015 we went southwards, to reach the north of France by June. After glorious weather throughout the summer, we arrived in Roanne in late October, and enjoyed our winter in this friendly port. We cruised extensively in France in 2016 and 2017, returning to Roanne each winter.

Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Leitrim to Lough Key 8th - 10th July

Andy cleaned and resealed the chimney to the stove top this morning. Although it was not smoking through the gap, it seemed better not to be able to see the flames of the fire from above!

We moved off, and soon joined the river Shannon. After going south for nearly four miles, we turned onto the River Boyle, and into Lough Eidin, where this cormorant was perching on a marker post.

There were threatening skies ahead, but the rain avoided us today.
We had planned to moor at Knockvicar, but the wall was too high for Catkin, being almost as high as our roof, so we carried on.

Clarendon lock is the only one on this river, with a wide weir beside it.

In the middle of the weir a fish ladder can be seen.

We reached Lough Key, and moored on Drumman's Island. This is one of three moorings adjoining the Lough Key Forest Park, and was very quiet, with only three boats there on Friday.

We explored part of the park and found some really old trees.

On Saturday boats kept arriving at our mooring during the day. By the evening there were fourteen boats altogether, several of which were rafted up.

We had two cruisers tied outside The Puzzler.

No half measures with their fenders!
We were pleased to see Maurice and Janet again. Their boat Lasalle, was moored beside us. Maurice was in charge of the barbeque, which had to move on to their back deck, under the umbrella, during a shower of rain.

A good evening was had by all, and we retired inside for games later. There were several barbeques elsewhere on the jetty, with peace eventually falling at about 12.30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment